As per the Canadian Nurses Association prediction, there is a staggering demand of 60,000 nurses that is needed by the year 2022.
Thus, Registered Nurses are in high demand throughout Canada giving the option to nurses to work in a wide range of capacities. With the advancement in nursing, there are so many options available, from traditional bedside nursing to advance nursing practices that does not necessarily require nurses to work at the bedside of a hospitalized patient. Occupational Health Nurse and Clinical Nurse Specialist are the top 2 most competitive & coveted advance practice nursing jobs in Canada.
|Occupational Health Nurse and Clinical Nurse Specialist Jobs|
Occupational Health Nurse
Occupational Health Nurses (OHN) are registered nurses who do not typically treat patients in hospital beds rather treat workers who work in factories, chemical plants and other mills.
Their main role involves -
- Treating workers with injuries and illnesses
- Devising health & safety programs depending upon each organization’s work type and community environment.
- Prevention of health effects from harmful exposures
- Legal and monitoring requirements to ensure worker safety
- Conducting health surveillance programs from time to time
- Providing tertiary prevention strategy
- Work for health promotion
- Counselling and crisis intervention
- Case Management
Clinical Nurse Specialist
Clinical nurse specialist is another advance nursing practice in Canada with a great scope for growth. The main role of a clinical nurse specialist is to assume the role and responsibility of a leader in a hospital or community setting. A clinical nurse practitioner is a registered nurse with a master’s degree in a specialized area that interests them such as Pediatrics, Gerontology.
As per the legally defined scope, the job role of a clinical nurse specialist is same as of the registered nurse. However, the role of a clinical nurse specialist tend to vary depending upon the employer they are working with and needs of the community.
INSCOL offers PG Specialty Programs in collaboration with leading Universities/Colleges in Canada, Australia, UK, US, New Zealand. As a nurse, you can select from broad array of courses depending upon your interest and passion such as:
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing Leadership & Management
- Post Graduate Certificate in RN-Critical Care Nursing
- Enhanced Nursing Practice- Gerontology & Chronic Illness
- Acute Complex Care-Post Graduate Certificate for Internationally Educated Nurses
- Post Graduate Certificate in Palliative Care – Multidiscipline
These course aim at transforming the nurses into global nurse by enhancing their knowledge, skills and expertise. More information about the courses can be found here: